Saturday, August 8, 2009

My Knees

From the time I was 8 through my twenties, I skied almost every weekend for the entire ski season. I was not the average skier of the day, I pounded the bumps all day. Add to this, at 13 I started running track. By 14 my knees felt like I had sand between my tibia and femur, (knee joint).(1) As you can guess it did not feel good. I’ve had this painful feeling ever since. I’m 45 now so what’s that like a 115 years?

When other people would complain to me how bad their knees were, I would say, “Really, feel my knees.” I would then grab their hand, place it on my knee and move it around. They would yank their hand away completely freaked out. One, because they would say, “It felt like you have sand in your knee.” Two, I just made them feel my knee.

So as you are thinking that your knees were worse because you had surgery, or you had them replaced, or your legs were bitten off by a shark, all I can say is try filling your joint with sand and see what kind of fun that stirs up.

I will stop complaining now. Since I started barefoot running, the sand feeling has disappeared. The pain is almost completely gone.(2)It feels like I am building up areas around my knee that I normally did not use.(3)These places started of as really sore but that is going away. Every day when I climb the stairs, I notice it getting easier and easier. By the end of my third week of barefoot running I was able to climb the three flights of stairs to my office feeling strong and with no pain.



(1)http://www.bartleby.com/107/pages/page341.html
(2)http://www.coachr.org/barefoot_running.htm
(3)http://runningbarefoot.org/?p=1483

No comments:

Post a Comment