Saturday, August 8, 2009

Week Two

The first week I would put on running shoes in order to run to the park where I would do my miles barefoot on the grass. I purchased some Vibram Five Fingers KSO’s (VFF’s) and have ditched the running shoes for good.

When I went to the store to buy my VFF’s, I asked if they had any in stock. The salesman looked at my legs and said, “Those are the legs of a barefoot runner.” After I tried them on, he told me if I was going to do serious miles in them to use Body Glide because the inside seam would give me a blister. My wife and two of my kids got a pair. My wife has been walking in them and has noticed a difference in her ankle strength. My kids are just starting to get into running and like the barefoot feel better than running shoes.

Completely forgetting what the salesman told me, my first run in my VFF’s was a total of five miles, part on concrete, part on grass. By the end of the run, I had some intense blisters on the inside (medial) of my feet. I have been using a combination of duct tape and Body Glide until the blisters fully heal. It appears the Body Glide will work just fine by itself once the blisters heal.

As for the running, I’m feeling stronger than ever before and I’m losing weight faster than I have before. You should know I have worked out five days a week for the last ten years and had reached a plateau in weight loss. I have broken through that barrier and I'm shedding pounds fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment